Our perspective: Using AWS infrastructure as service to provide scalable technology platform for travel businesses
Travel business owners are continuously bogged down by some key problems:
- How should I dynamically roll out offers quickly to stay on the pulse of my consumer?
- How should I make sure that core business functions, sales and marketing, administration of my business are seamlessly handled by my technology?
- How do I scale my business quickly by keeping my technology costs down?
At tavisca, we believe that SaaS (Software as a Service) is the answer to the above problems. As a part of the “Hosted Platform” team at tavisca, taking our offering to completely comply with the SaaS model is my constant pursuit.
travelnxt, our next generation online travel booking platform is at the forefront of our offerings to the market. After working for a long time developing scalable software, deploying it on a scalable layer of infrastructure so that it can be accessed and used effectively across the globe was always on the back of my mind.
A casual discussion with a CEO of a company which offers Mobile Backend as a service, led me to evaluate AWS (Amazon Web Services). I started evaluating if AWS can be “THAT” infrastructure provider I needed to scale on a need-basis for my customers.
After further evaluation of AWS and other providers as well, I was positively convinced about AWS and the fitting reasons mentioned below:
- AWS is a cloud based infrastructure provider, also referred to as IAAS (Infrastructure as a service) provider. It has all the features I needed to support travelnxt (our travel booking platform) at tavisca. Availability of AWS at different zones, reliability of AWS as IAAS is also a big plus!
- Security of online businesses is always a major concern. The latest version of travelnxt is PA-DSS certified (our blog on how tavisca achieved the certification goal). The AWS core infrastructure and services are also PCI DSS 2.0 compliant thus making it a good fit for our offerings.
- AWS allows us to scale infrastructure dynamically based on actual traffic to client websites. So as we focus increasingly on delivering scalable offerings, AWS takes care of infrastructure scaling for us.
- AWS also offers app services for things like e-mails, notifications, caching. This helps in scaling the infrastructure at a smaller component level.
- AWS provides option for automating administrative tasks as well thus streamlining all IT activities to reduce manual errors.
Our vision at tavisca is to offer our products as PAAS (platform as a service) to our clients. AWS migration of our platform will take this pursuit to a next level. Our Travel CMS – “templar” will benefit the most here thus enabling travel agencies to take their business online. Faster.
As I reach fast to the finish line (in terms of AWS migration), I am really excited to see customer reactions once they begin to use a faster and an efficient product.
If you are also working on software products to offer in SAAS or the PAAS model, considering AWS for IAAS is definitely worth all your effort!
Note: The views mentioned in this article are by Sanjay Ghare, a travel technology specialist at tavisca. Sanjay can be contacted directly at firstname.lastname@example.org